Career Level Officer
Experience 4 Years
Qualifications Master’s Degree
Full Job Description
This position is an integral part of the university’s financial aid office. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring the highest levels of service to current and prospective students and parents. The counselor determines the financial aid eligibility of all students and assures compliance with federal and institutional guidelines. Additionally, the counselor advises current students, prospective students, parents, and colleagues regarding federal, state and institutional financial assistance programs.
- Determine extent, type and amount of eligibility for various types of financial aid, based upon general guidelines provided by federal government regulations and the institution. Utilize professional judgment to evaluate federal tax forms, calculate assets and conduct need analysis to strategically award students consistent with university objectives. Using statistical sampling conduct detailed verification of all information submitted. This process guarantees the integrity of financial aid packages for both prospective and enrolled students.
- Provide financial advice and counseling to both prospective and enrolled students, parents and UU administrators regarding the application process, bill payment, budgeting and financial planning each semester. Explain federal/institutional regulations, methods of compliance and procedures and policies. Understand and inform students of all principles underlying the system of needs analysis, methods of information collection and verification. The duties are handled in order to facilitate the financial aid process.
- Evaluate appeals for amounts and types of financial aid awards. Utilize professional judgment to determine and makes adjustments, if warranted, based upon individual family circumstances incorporating existing federal and institutional guidelines.
- Work with other university departments to include: AU Central, Student Accounts, Student Loan Office, Payroll, and the Registrar on behalf of students.
- Financial Aid Counselors report directly to an Assistant or Associate Director.
- The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive service to prospective and current students.
- The incumbent not only determines financial aid eligibility but also counsels both graduate and undergraduate students as well as parents regarding the financial aid programs.
- This position requires self-direction and minimal supervision.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours/week
- Specialist A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one years experience in financial aid counseling in a large volume, multiprogram environment
- Associate degree and 5 years financial aid working experience can be substituted for the bachelor’s degree requirement
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about Universal University’s unique benefit options.
Universal University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.